Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I love the smell of mirepoix in the evening!

What is mirepoix you ask? I didn't know the official name until a few years ago when I got my first Emeril cookbook. Mirepoix is the French term for sauteed celery,onion and carrots. There is also the Holy Trinity which is celery, onion and green peppers,but that is more of the Creole persuasion.

Tonight I'm making Ro-tel King Ranch Chicken for dinner. It's been a while since I made it, but tonight I was just in the mood. I have taken a page from my friend Jackie Marks (http://heartsonmyfoot.blogspot.com/) ,and I'm blogging about dinners and adding pictures. (No pictures in this blog though as I'm not on the ball. I might add later)



I got this idea from a friend while we were stationed in Ankara,Turkey. It's so easy, it'snot even funny.



You will need:

2 C cubed or shredded chicken (I've used both canned and freshly boiled/shredded chicken)

2 Cans Cream Of........(your favorite condensed )Soup ( I use whatever I have on hand or what I'm in the mood for)

1 Can Ro-Tel Tomatoes ( I like Cilantro and Lime)

12 Corn Tortillas( not the hard kind),torn into bit sized pieces.

1/2 Med Onion ( chopped)

2 Carrots( peeled and chopped)

3 Stalks Celery ( halved,chopped)

2 C Shredded Cheese



Pre-heat oven to 350



Sautee mirepoix in butter ( or EVOO if you prefer) for 5 or so minutes. Add tomatoes,both soups and chicken. Cook until simmering. Lay corn tortillas on bottom of 9x13 dish. Cover cover with 1/3rd of chicken mix. Top with 1/3 cheese. Repeat, repeat. Top with final tortillas and cheese. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve with sour cream and cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. Looks scumptious. I will have to try it when I have company.

    ReplyDelete